Re: REVISED PROPOSAL regarding DFSG 3 and 4, licenses, and modifiable text

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:53:45AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > It's the same kind of backsliding that I'm worried about when it comes
> > to permitting invariant text into main.  To date, license texts and
> > copyright notices are pretty well-defined documents with discrete
> > boundaries.  The GNU GPL takes some liberties with the notion of a
> > license, including a fair amount of text that isn't really terms or
> > conditions, but it's still easy to deal with because it's well-known,
> > widely used, easy to tell where it begins and ends, and is unlikely to
> > swell to dizzying proportions in the future.
>
> Actually, the GPL is pretty vanilla.  Eben Moglen has a nice essay on
> why it's been so easy to enforce--because it sticks to well-worn
> ground, instead of licenses that try to remove rights by weird implied
> consent methods (such as shrink-wrap licenses).

Er, I think you misunderstood me.  The liberties I referred have to do
with including the parts *outside* the "Terms and Conditions" section, and
not a statement about the legal merits of those terms and conditions.

Remember, the scope of this discussion is unmodifiable text that isn't
legally binding.  I expect you've heard many, many more people grousing
about the GPL's license terms, and perhaps that primed you to read my
remakrs in that light.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Music is the brandy of the damned.