Re: How about a new section "[partially free]"?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:26:24AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Perhaps.  The GPL rule is that the modified file must contain the
> modifier's name and the date *of the modification*--diff doesn't know
> that, because it can only look at file timestamps.

Well, diff uses the mtime, doesn't it?

> It would need to be that applying the patch to the file causes the
> resulting patched file to contain the modifier's name and the date he
> did the modification (which, for practical purposes, is in general not
> the date patch was run, nor the date diff was run).

Strictly speaking, when a Debian source package consists of a pristine
source tarball and a .diff.gz, the original files are *not* modified,
except at package build time, which means the date of modification is
whatever the clock on the wall says when you build the package.

I acknowledge that this may not be the spirit, or intent, of the
requirement.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an