Re: PROPOSED: interpretive guidelines regarding DFSG 3, modifiability, and invariant text

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:17:53PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > That is unacceptable because it would allow modified versions of the
>     > GNU Manifesto.
>     =2E..but not modified versions that carried the FSF's endorsement (unless
>     the FSF decided to do so),
> I understand that, but this won't be enough to make sure our message
> gets through.

I hope you'll forgive me if I do not see why this is the case.  I do not
see what aims are not served by having a complete, unadulterated copy of
all Invariant Sections in every copy of a GNU Manual.

> You and I have stated our views on this well enough, and I don't have
> time to repeat mine.  We may as well agree to stop arguing about this.

Some day, when you have time, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment
to explain to me how the FSF's message doesn't get through when you have
a guaranteed platform.

> Debian will eventually make a decision.

I'll do my best to expedite the process so that we don't have this
ambiguity in our application of the DFSG milling around any longer than
it has to.

Thanks for your time.

G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to
branden@debian.org                 |     capitalism.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |     -- Russian saying