Re: APL & LGPL & GPL

Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>:

> This came up in the past and I pointed out that for example Solaris
> does not set up such a second distribution channel even though they
> distribute GPLed code on the main Solaris (8 and beyond) CDs.

This is interesting. Presumably there are GPL programs linked with
Solaris's C library, which is GPL-incompatible yet "accompanies the
executable". Is Solaris's C library on the same CD as the GPL
programs, or on a different CD in the same box? Are there are a lot of
GPL programs involved, and does the copyright of some of them belong
to the FSF?

Is the source code for Solaris's C library already available without
charge under some kind of non-free licence?

Edmund