Re: Apple Public Source License APSL v1.2 2001-01-04 www.publicsource.apple.com/apsl/

Scripsit Walter Landry <landry@physics.utah.edu>

> The requirement that all modifications must be made publicly available
> is a bit annoying.  If I give a modification to a friend, I am
> required to publish the modification to the world for the next 12
> months.  It's probably ok, although I'm willing to be contradicted.

I think this is non-free. It means that people without net access
cannot receive the software on disks from a friend and later give
the friend back a bugfixed version.

Even though posting things on the web is fairly cheap nowadays, it
is not necessarily going to stay that way in every possible future
scenario. And there are still people who have legitimate reasons to
not be net-connected, and we want those people to be able to take
full advantage of Debian, including the right to make modifications
and distribute modified software privately.

--
Henning Makholm               "Uh ... a picture of me with my hair pinned up
                        in a towel and standing in front of a grid without a