cthugha (non-free) license

(i'm not subscribed to this list, please Cc me on replies)

Hello, wishing a nice day!

I'm quite new to Debian development and don't know much about the
workings of this list. But i have some questions at least ;)

Cthugha is (still) a non-free package, that i maintain for Debian and
want to become the upstream maintainer also, as the oriinal author is
not going to develop it any further. I mailed him in february this year
and last 5 minutes ago to convince him to provide a last archive with
another license. My question is: what keeps cthugha from being free?

As i said, i don't know how you are working here. Before i start to
cut&paste all the licensing here, i rather wait for somebody to tell me
so. Cthugha_1.4-1 is in non-free/graphics.

I'm afraid there are several issues - the main license contains
'commercial use ... send me a postcard', but there are apparently some
modules from foreign authors containing other licenses.

I'm going through the software during the next days, mostly to make it
work better, but keep an eye on licenses also. May be some critical
modules can easily be rewritten, don't know yet. I wanted to aks here
in parallel already, so things get moving.

Any input welcome, greetings, martin