Re: Public domain fonts?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 04:53:37PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> It sounds like the intention is an X11-style licence (BSD without
> advertising clause), but I know Debian usually insists on explicit
> permission to distribute modified versions for it to count as free.
> This is to prevent authors from coming back and "clarifying" (i.e.
> changing) the licence later.

I'd find it more likely that the intent was not X11-style licensing.
Few font creators have distributed fonts that can be modified.

> Silly, philosophical point: if the author is dead, then there is a
> greatly reduced risk of the author coming back and "clarifying" the
> licence, so presumably you can interpret the licence more broadly in
> that case.

Of course, you've got the possibility of some descendent coming after
you, who may have found the very concept of giving it away absurd, and
is happy to take a very narrow interpretation of the license.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and