Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> It's not.  What is supposed to alienate everyone is YOU telling them that
> they aren't.  Telling ME is one thing: I figure that if they don't know
> enough about Debian that they know who all the flame-warriors are it's
> just as well that they wait a few years to become a DD.

I would assume that Hoffman is also aware that he's not a developer.
Why is it supposed to alienate someone to remind them that certain
lists are primarily for the use of developers, not users?

> Ever been to a Cypherpunks meeting?  That's _de rigeur_ behavior there...

Yep.  This is not Cypherpunks.  This is Debian, and as you may have
noticed, we place a priority on real identities.  Or haven't you
noticed that this is one of the new maintainer requirements?  Or
haven't you noticed that many find your insistence on hiding your name
to be objectionable.?

> BTW, let me clue you in to something: you're no more Thomas Bushnell
> than I am John Galt.  Both of them are arbitrary assemblages of
> letters that once can only hope has a uniqueness that allows you to
> differentiate yourself from all the other pinkish bipeds around...

And what we want is: what the name is that everyone else knows you
by.

> Yours just got chosen for you by your parents (well, not really:
> they chose three names for you I'll bet...), mine got chosen for me
> when I logged into a BBS many moons ago and I had to pick an 8
> character handle.

Actually, no.  My last name was not chosen by my parents, it was
inhereted from them.  My first name is "Thomas", and it was chosen by
ME.  My name at birth was "Michael Innis Bushnell".  (See?  No hiding
of information here.)

> Horsefeathers. Exclusion is the WHOLE point.  The unsaid part of any line
> that starts "you aren't a part of..." is almost always "...and won't be as
> long as I can help it".

No.  It's "you aren't a Debian developer", meaning "your opinions are
simply secondary to those of the people actually doing the work, and
who have expressed commitments to the goals of our Project".

Thomas