Re: Combining proprietary code and GPL for in-house use

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:11:27AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > 	* Independently, someone thinks libA is cool, and does an clean room
> > 	  implementation that's compatible at both binary and source levels,
> > 	  creating libA-gpl. It's uploaded to Debian. It Conflicts: with
> > 	  libA.
> That's not reasonable.  libA isn't distributable by Debian, so there's no
> reason for that Conflicts.

Hrm? What's not reasonable about it?

Debian has lots of Conflicts: against packages that aren't in
Debian. gnat-doc Conflicts: ada-rm, eg, even though ada-rm isn't in any
Debian distribution, eg.

If you'd rather, we can assume that FooCorp had a more liberal license
for libA and B in that past, and Debian used to distribute it. Or you
can assume that someone tried installing both at once, got a dpkg error,
and complained to the maintainer who added it in. Or you can assume that
the author did it just because he felt like it.

Cheers,
aj