Re: OpenSSL and GPLed programs

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 04:03:33PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> [...] In particular, the
> OpenSSL license is probably not GPL compatible, due to both an explicit
> "You can't use this code under the GPL"-esque clause, and two or three
> obnoxious advertising clauses.
It not only has the obnoxious advertising clauses, but it also has the
Apache style "trademark" clauses (Products derived from this software may
not be called [some words]).

> This doesn't make OpenSSL non-free, but it does cause problems for a
> number of packages in the archive which both appear to be under the GPL,
> and which are linked against openssl.
Maybe some of the programs can be build against the Network Security
Services (NSS) library from the Mozilla project which is dual-licensed
under the MPL and the GPL which should be compatible with most other
licenses. <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/>

This is what the mutt project did when it was pointed out to them that
mutt (under GPL) could not be combined (and distributed as a new derived
work) with OpenSSL.

I believe the new new Mozilla packages include NSS as seperate libraries
in the libnss3 and libnss-dev packages but I haven't tried them yet.

Cheers,

Mark
--
Stuff to read: