Re: Squeak license questions.

> Hi,
>
> 	I wish to package Squeak (a smalltalk implementation which is coming
> along very well and is far more useful IMO than gst in its current form)
>
> 	The problem is that I am unsure how DFSG complaint the license is.  To
> my eyes it looks reasonably close to the GPL in the main points(in that
> it mentions derivative works a lot and appears to allow them), but I am
> a bit worried about the bit about fonts.  Also IANAL and I would like
> to get some advice on whether or not it can be packaged, and if it can,
> should it go into main or non-free?
>
> 	I have attatched the license.

Well, the only really important part is clause 2, which reads in part

  2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to copy,
  install and use the Apple Software on an unlimited number of
  computers under your direct control. You may modify and create
  derivative works of the Apple Software ("Modified Software"),
  however, you may not modify or create derivative works of the fonts
  provided by Apple ("Fonts").

This puts the fonts in non-free.

  You may distribute and sublicense such Modified Software only under
  the terms of a valid, binding license that makes no representations
  or warranties on behalf of Apple, and is no less protective of Apple
  and Apple's rights than this License. You may distribute and
  sublicense the Fonts only as a part of and for use with Modified
  Software, and not as a part of or for use
  with Modified Software that is distributed or sublicensed for a fee or
  for other valuable consideration.

And this means that you can't distribute the fonts separately from the
original package.

  If the Modified Software contains
  modifications, overwrites, replacements, deletions, additions, or
  ports to new platforms of: (1) the methods of existing class objects
  or their existing relationships, or (2) any part of the virtual
  machine, then for so long as the Modified Software is distributed or
  sublicensed to others, such modified, overwritten, replaced, deleted,
  added and ported portions of the Modified Software must be made
  publicly available, preferably by means of download from a website, at
  no charge under the terms set forth in Exhibit A below.

I think this puts the whole package in non-free.  This precludes CD
manufacturers from selling binary CD's and then providing the source
on a separate CD that you have to pay a reasonable duplication fee
for.

Regards,
Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu