Re: request

    Sam> Under US law ...

    Sergio> Well, we are under international copyright here.

I note you don't claim "international copyright *law*" here.  As it
stands, international (copyright) treaties always have to be
*implemented* by local (=national) law.  Which can vary in details...

    Sergio> My observation was that "Mailing Lists" (Debian's or
    Sergio> otherwise) are suddenly claiming copy-rights as if they
    Sergio> were officially registered periodicals, and that such a
    Sergio> claim is not legal.

No Debian mailing list is claiming copyright on your postings.  Show
me the "(c) Debian" under your postings in the archives and I'd
believe you.

    Sergio> Please note that we are talking about "mail" here
    Sergio> (we are not talking about "articles" or other forms
    Sergio> of literature), and mail is subject to more strict
    Sergio> rules withing the general copyright code.

Can you cite anything in the Berne convention or related treaties?
AFAIK, copyright doesn't give a fuck about "mail"/"non-mail".  Could
be wrong, of course... but you have to *prove* me wrong, handwaving
won't cut it.

    Sergio> Mail is in fact private, in the US as well as any modern
    Sergio> country. In the UK, for example, there are only two person
    Sergio> who can read an addressed mail: the receiver and the
    Sergio> Queen.

Which has nothing at all to do with copyright law.  (It's *copy*right,
not *read*right, BTW)

    Sergio> By posting to a "mailing list", you are posting to a
    Sergio> number of people; it is like making a xerox of your mail,
    Sergio> then post it to a number of people. The mere fact that you
    Sergio> are posting to 100 friends rather than 1, does not make
    Sergio> your mail a journal article.

Good example... now imagine this thing would go to court (which would
be your logical next/final step, if we (Debian) don't comply with your
wishes.  Doesn't seem like we will...).  Try to imagine telling this
to a judge... but tell him/her the *real* picture:

You: "I wrote a letter to a friend.  He xeroxed it and mailed it to a
list of my friends."[1]

Judge: "And you know who's on that list?"

You: "Uhm,... No, your honor, I don't.  Not exactly, anyway."

Judge: "Well, who *is* on this list?"

You: "Uhm, anybody who wanted to be."

Judge: [speechless]

You: "Anybody could tell my friend, Deborah Ian, that he wanted to
receive these mails, and Deb-Ian put him on the list."

That's the *real* picture.  Guess what any judge would do?  I'll leave
that to the imagination of the reader.

    Sergio> [...] Electronic-Mail is Mail. As such, it is private,
    Sergio> unless there is an "explicit agreement" that says
    Sergio> otherwise.

Posting *indirectly* to a list of people that you can't even name (for
starters, just tell me how *many* people read *this very mail*) does
not imply a great deal of privacy to me.

[Rest deleted]

Bye, J

[1] I've known a number of christian missionaries, and some of them
have done their newsletters that way: mail one to a friend in their
home country, who then copies it and sends it to the people on a list.
*But* in those cases the writers of the mail *knew* who was on that
list...

PS: Sorry if some of this sounds inflammatory.  I tried as hard as I
could to stay calm, but probably failed...

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard