Re: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 04:34:15PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Richard Braakman wrote:
> > > We usually allow some time for license issues to be resolved.  In the
> > > extreme case of KDE it was more than a year :)
> >
> > You forget: KDE was removed from the archive during that time.
>
> No, I'm specifically talking about the time before we removed it.
> The license problems had been pointed out well before that, I think
> it was about a year.  And when we did remove it, it stayed in stable
> for a while longer.  The decision to remove it was not quickly made.

Well my memory is fuzzy but my archives show it was probably closer to 4
months, 6 on the outside.

Anyway, even if I have somehow misread these old messages and we sat on
the problem for an indeterminate amount of time before fixing the issue,
we would have had good reason at the time: We had just realized that license
compatability was even a concern, something we had never worried about
before. Then as now we had no legal advice. Dithering for a while would
be understandable in that situation. Doing the wrong thing now in a
clear-cut case of non-free software in main is inexcusable.

--
see shy jo