Re: Does this conform to DFSG?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 07:10:40PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> There are two advertising related clauses in the traditional BSD license.
> One says "you can't use the author's names to hock your derived wares",

I think you mean "hawk":

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Hawk \Hawk\, v. t. [Akin to D. hauker a hawker, G. höken,
     höcken, to higgle, to retail, höke, höker, a
     higgler, huckster. See Huckster.]
     To offer for sale by outcry in the street; to carry
     (merchandise) about from place to place for sale; to peddle;
     as, to hawk goods or pamphlets. His works were hawked in
     every street.                                  --Swift.

"Hock" would appear to be a slang word of more recent origin that most
public-domain dictionaries, sadly.  If I hock my guitar, it means I go to
the pawnbroker's and use it as collateral for a short-term loan.

Isn't my pedant hat sexy?

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   A celibate clergy is an especially good
Debian GNU/Linux                |   idea, because it tends to suppress any