Re: Libapache-mod-backhand: load balancing Apache requests.

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 10:28:55PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
> > I missed the "with or without modification" in the header, so thought this
> > clause was the only thing granting permission for derived works.  Had that
> > been the case, DFSG 3 would be the controlling consideration and fail.
> > But the permission for derivate works doesn't derive only from this
> > clause, so I was wrong.  However, I AM going to point out that Bushnell's
> > idea of "added constraint" for the Diablo license could concievably
> > apply to this clause, and since there's no real division between
> > acceptable added constraint and unacceptable added constraint, could be
> > read to void DFSG 4
> Um, this actually isn't usually taken to be a problem.  The added
> constraint in the Diable license requires a person to support an OS
> they might not want to, to do a lot of extra work.  The added
> constraint here is that you can't choose a name which might conflict.
> Naming rules have generally not been thought to violate free
> softwareness; TeX is a classic example.

Actually, LaTeX is an interesting borderline case, according to RMS.

<quote src="http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html";>
This license contains complex and annoying restrictions on how to
publish a modified version, including one requirement that falls just
barely on the good side of the line of what is acceptable: that any
modified file must have a new name.

The reason this requirement is acceptable for LaTeX is that LaTeX has
a facility to allow you to map file names, to specify ``use file bar
when file foo is requested''. With this facility, the requirement is
merely annoying; without the facility, the same requirement would be a
serious obstacle, and we would have to conclude it makes the program

So names of programs are almost always acceptable (I can't think of
any reason why they wouldn't be).  But names of files are a more
borderline case.
sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss