Re: Libapache-mod-backhand: load balancing Apache requests.

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> I missed the "with or without modification" in the header, so thought this
> clause was the only thing granting permission for derived works.  Had that
> been the case, DFSG 3 would be the controlling consideration and fail.
> But the permission for derivate works doesn't derive only from this
> clause, so I was wrong.  However, I AM going to point out that Bushnell's
> idea of "added constraint" for the Diablo license could concievably
> apply to this clause, and since there's no real division between
> acceptable added constraint and unacceptable added constraint, could be
> read to void DFSG 4

Um, this actually isn't usually taken to be a problem.  The added
constraint in the Diable license requires a person to support an OS
they might not want to, to do a lot of extra work.  The added
constraint here is that you can't choose a name which might conflict.

Naming rules have generally not been thought to violate free
softwareness; TeX is a classic example.

Thomas