Re: an unspecific license

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 01:52:08PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What are the ramifications of releasing software with a statement of
> what type of license the software can be used under, instead of explicit
> terms and conditions?

The big question would be: did the author really mean what was said?

> e.g., If a package is release with the following license statement
>       (or whatever conveys the same intent, which I hope is clear):
>
> 	This software can be used by individuals and corporations under
> 	the terms and conditions of any license that conforms to the
> 	Debian Free Software Guidelines.

Any license?  For example, public domain software meets DFSG.

>       can one then go on to say...
>
> 	Redistribution of this software, or any work derived from it,
> 	must contain this license statement.

I think this statement would be ambiguous.

> If this topic has been covered already, can you provide me with a clue
> (keywords, dates, etc.) to aid in a search through the archives.

In the past, I think we've asked authors to clarify what they meant
(in analogous situations, not anything which is precisely this
situation).

Thanks,

--
Raul