Re: Fwd: Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:07:49PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> Quite frankly, I doubt it - I see numerous misunderstandings that have been
> covered many times already.

Yes.

> > Qt is a Library, that means it is intentionally used by the program. As I
> > know common practice the library does not "modify" the program but vice
> > versa. Otherwise it wouldn't be allowed to link any GPL program to the
> > LGPL'ed glibc or any other libc running on any sytem where GNU software is
> > used.
>
> Bad example, for two reasons: the LGPL explicitly allows relicensing as GPL
> (which the QPL or Qt1 license don't), and the GPL has specific exemptions
> for major system components (like libc), which Qt isn't.

Er.. these are tangential points, and not always applicable.
[The exemption can never make a difference for Debian, for instance.]

The real issue is that the LGPL doesn't impose any restrictions on the
copying/distribution process beyond those already imposed by the GPL.

None.

End of story.

--
Raul