Re: Fwd: Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 10:44:07AM +0200, Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> I think parts of the Debian+KDE discussion on the KDE Maillist will be
> interesting for you too.

The issue of intention (which I did not quote below) has never been in
question.  All we did was ask for that intention to be spelled out to
satisfy laws on a more global scale (and in particular the US which has
one of the more screwed up legal systems in the world...)

The primary reason we feel these requests have not been honored is that
KDE cannot honor them with enough of the programs in the project to be a
problem.  Take kghostview - it may be the intention of the KDE project
that you use it with Qt, but it was not the intention of the original
authors (whom are going to be difficult to track down anyway to get the
necessary permission..)

It is those programs which KDE did not write the code for in the project
that are the largest source of contention.  IF KDE's entire codebase were
written by KDE developers, this issue would have been resolved two years
ago if not perhaps longer.

> > But IANAL, of course.
>
> IANAL either.  My son is, but if I asked him I might get an answer I
> wouldn't want to hear.

"Here's my invoice." ?  =D