Re: new version of pilrc with strange license addition

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 09:27:04PM -0500, Ashley Clark wrote:
> > 2. Distribution
> > ---------------
> >
> > The  PilRC distribution occurs  in source format and compiled
> > executable format (Microsoft Windows).  This agreement and any other
> > documentation must be available at all times within the download of
> > this software.
> >
> > PilRC may only be distributed at the following URL:
>             ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
> >
> >   http://www.ardiri.com/index.cfm?redir=palm&cat=pilrc
> >
> > The  distribution files (source and binaries) are available at this
> > URL. You are entitled to express to others the URL in order to obtain
> > PilRC for use with your "distribution". Additional distribution of
> > binaries is permitted if they are built and send to the Maintainer
> > for distribution at the above URL.
>
> This violates the DFSG (correct?) but there is a further clause under
> section 4 relating to derived works.
>
> > 4. Derived Works
> > ----------------
> >
> > You are permitted to modify PilRC and build "derived works" based on
> > he source code under the condition that the source code remains
> > available within the new distribution and is not considered a
> > competing product to the PilRC distribution.
>
> Which seems to suggest someone could derive a work of pilrc and
> distribute it separately (?)

This is not only not free, I don't even think it's distributable
in non-free. Yes, you can derive a work but only if it "is not
considered a competing product to the PilRC distribution", which
I would take to mean that it does something totally different
from PilRC. My suggestion is to (a) discuss why this license is
so nasty with the author and (b) explain why Debian won't carry
it (Debian proper or non-free). You may want to consider forking
the program.

If you need some more discussion on the license before discussing
it with the author, forward the whole thing to debian-legal, and I,
at least, will dissect and discuss, if no one else will.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu