Re: [andrew@AmbrosiaSW.com: Re: Copyright of maelstrom artwork]

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 03:17:53AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> In the meantime, I think we could rescue Maelstrom itself from this limbo
> if someone were willing to come up with some freely licensed sprites and
> sounds.  They can be minimalistic and simplistic -- or even lousy.  If

Well there exist a lot of add-ons (sounds and sprites) but there are a lot
more: intro screen, fonts etc. which needed to be changed.

I see the point to drop it because we don't do such halfway things. But
looking at the old copyright:
"This software, the Linux port of Maelstrom, may be freely copied
and used.  It may not be resold or used in a commercial product
without the consent of Andrew Welch, the author of the original
Macintosh version of Maelstrom, and the consent of Sam Lantinga,
author of the port of Maelstrom to Linux.

Please don't use the code in this project directly in a game.
Feel free to use the game programming concepts, however Macintosh
Maelstrom remains a shareware game by Ambrosia Software."

It was even less free than now:
"The source code to Maelstrom 3.0 and higher has been released under
the GNU General Public License which can be found in COPYING.GPL.

The artwork and sounds used by Maelstrom are copyright Ambrosia Software
(http://www.ambrosiasw.com) and may not be redistributed separately from
the Maelstrom public GPL release.

The following files must accompany any distribution of Maeltrom 3.0:
        Ambrosia_Software,_Inc._FAQ
        MaelstromGPL_press_release
They can be found in the Docs directory."

BTW, which non-free policy would be acceptable for the artworks?

--
* Christoph Baumann                                          *
* cbauman1@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de                          *