Re: License issues with fortune packages?

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 03:05:16PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> > Probably all would be good with proper attribution, but I'd keep them in
> > non-free if I were you (proper attribution does NOT release you from
> > copyright restrictions, it just enhances the "fair use" claim).
>
> Fair use is fair use, and therefore not subject to restrictions.

Yeah, but fair use tends to blur when profit is made off of the use.  In
main, it is likely that CD distributor foo makes a bit of cash off the
sale (hence the reasoning behind the "no commercial use" clauses
making non-free).  This may invalidate "fair use" or at least stretch the
reasoning a little farther than necessary.  Debian itself is non-profit,
but main may open up a can of worms.  Just as an aside, non-profits have
consistently gotten the benefit of the doubt in Fair Use determination, so
that may tip the scale, but erring on the side of caution is definitely
the preferable option.

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.