Re: orphaning fetchmail

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 01:21:56PM +1300, Carey Evans wrote:
> I believe openssl inherits most of its GPL-incompatible clauses from
> ssleay.  For example, I have an old copy of fcrypt.c, which is part of
> Eric Young's libdes, which includes:
>
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *    "This product includes cryptographic software written by
>  *     Eric Young (eay@mincom.oz.au)"
>  *    The word 'cryptographic' can be left out if the rouines from the library
>  *    being used are not cryptographic related :-).

That's a variant on the BSD licensing clause, which is annoying, but not
legally valid.

> which is the BSD advertising clause that is incompatible with the GPL.
>
> There's also:
>
>  * The licence and distribution terms for any publically available version or
>  * derivative of this code cannot be changed.  i.e. this code cannot simply be
>  * copied and put under another distribution licence
>  * [including the GNU Public Licence.]

I didn't notice the explicit "ssleay can't be used with the GPL" -- yeah,
this means it would have to be re-implemented from scratch (perhaps
grabbing some code from analogous but differently licensed products).

What I was noticing was the added distribution terms for OpenSSL.

--
Raul