Re: "Clarified" Artistic License

On Dec 09, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 01:00:10PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > ncftp 3.0.2 comes under something called the "Clarified" Artistic
> > License.  It looks DFSG-free, but I'm not certain.  Here's the text:
> [..]
>
> I wish people would adopt thie clarified license..  Based on the wdiff,
> it's a vast improvement.  Nothing changed seems non-free, but I didn't
> give it a good reading to compare it with the GPL if someone else would
> like to do that.  (ncftp can use readline can it not?)

The 3.0 series doesn't natively, but there is a patch that allows it.
The "old" Artistic license wasn't GPL-compatible, so I had to disable
that patch; I don't know at first glance whether this clarified
version is or not.

Frankly, the upstream author doesn't seem to understand all of the
licensing issues and thus he could easily GPL the 3.0 series as he as
done the 2.0 series, but I think he won't be all that educable on that
point after the grief he got on the 2.0 series and readline.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> -  http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager (Physics & Astronomy, 125 Lewis, 662-915-5765)
Instructor, POL 101      (Political Science, 208 Deupree, 662-915-5949)