Re: eCos License Overview

Scripsit Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:42:59PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > In this case the clause also discriminates against anyone who can
> > afford giving his neighbour a floppy disk with modified sources
> > but cannot afford using whatever "accepted Electronic Distribution
> > Mechanism" the language means.

> I suspect that the same floppy disk would be an "accepted Electronic
> Distribution Mechanism" - I read that bit as saying you must make an
> electronic copy of the source avaliable in some reasonable manner.

It defines the term as someting *generally* accepted. Hence not every
technically feasible medium is generally accepted.

By the way, giving a floppy disk to your neighbour does not
necessarily incur the same costs sending the floppy to the
original author would.

Or you could substitute a more exotic medium than a floppy disk.
What if you were connected to the neighbour with a nonstandard
LAN and neither of you have writable floppy drives? You get the
software on CD-ROMs by ground mail.

--
Henning Makholm                    "What the hedgehog sang is not evidence."