Re: eCos License Overview

Scripsit Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org>

> I consider packaging ecos. Please look at the license here:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/license-overview.html

> I think it qualifies as free. But there is some fishy thing that
> changes made to the system must be announced.

It says:

| Any Modification which You create or to which You contribute
| must be made available in Source Code form under the terms of
| this License via an accepted Electronic Distribution Mechanism
| to anyone to whom you made an Executable version available and
| to the Initial Developer;
| You are responsible for notifying the Initial Developer of the
| Modification and the location of the Source if a contact means
| is provided.

Prior practise on debian-legal has been to consider such clauses
non-free, failing DFSG ##1 and 3 (in that the requirement to
give copies to or even notify the initial author is viewed as
a restriction).

In this case the clause also discriminates against anyone who can
afford giving his neighbour a floppy disk with modified sources
but cannot afford using whatever "accepted Electronic Distribution
Mechanism" the language means.

Henning Makholm            "Make it loud, make it complicated, make it long,
                   and make it up if you have to, but it'll work all right."