Re: New license for UW-IMAP

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 08:44:55AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Er, hang on. Isn't this similar to the restrictions in the NPL?
> www.mozilla.org is giving me 502s, so I can't check directly, but in an
> essay by Bruce Perens on the DFSG/OSD he says:
>
>   An important feature of the NPL is that it contains special privileges
>   that apply to Netscape and nobody else. It gives Netscape the
>   privilege of re-licensing modifications that you've made to their
>   software. They can take those modifications private, improve them, and
>   refuse to give you the result.
>
> To me, this looks like a fair summary of the UW licence too. The NPL is
> a pain in many ways, and it's certainly GPL-incompatible, but
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html acknowledges it as a
> free software licence. Thus, simply allowing a privileged party to steal
> your changes and make them proprietary is not sufficient to render a
> licence non-DFSG-free.

Maybe it should be.  Last time I researched the MPL/NPL issue, I thought
the NPL was non-free, and the MPL (barely) free.  Maybe I misremember.

> >I urge the Debian community to reject this license; it looks to me like it
> >might fail DFSG #9.
>
> "License Must Not Contaminate Other Software"? Really? I think it would
> be a strange interpretation of a "Distribution" of UW-IMAP that extended
> to other Debian packages.

You're not thinking adventurously enough with respect to the types of code
that people might attempt to combine with UW-IMAP.  It appears that UWash
might be attempting to claim some sort of transitive copyright in, say
GPL-licensed code that is patched into UW-IMAP by someone who isn't a legal
scholar.  Definitely not a good-neighbor policy.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The first thing the communists do when
Debian GNU/Linux                |    they take over a country is to outlaw