Legal Question on GPL

Hello, I have a legal question about a company stating they're product is
covered by the GPL. I have included my correspondence with them which will
explain the situation. This doesn't have to do with Debian, but this is the
only place I know of that I could get this clarified for me. I do not
subscribe to this list, if you could reply to me directly I would appreciate
it.

Sincerely,
Stephen M. Przepiora

To Whom it may concern,
I just heard about your product and am excited about seeing it, however I
can't seem to find the source distribution. It stated on your web site the
product (GNU Xtools) was open source if I am wrong on this I am sorry to
bother you.

Sincerely,
Stephen M. Przepiora

Steve,

We offer our source code as a part of our CD distribution.  The minimal cost
version is the student package which is available for $19.99.

We charge this amount to cover our investment in making these tools
available
in binary/media form.  If you want just source, feel free to use the GNU and
Cygnus mirrors that are available.  We feel confident that our added value
of
providing all of the pre-compiled binaries is well worth the small price we
ask.  By open source we mean that we include all sources with our
distribution; this is in keeping with the GPL.

Regards,

James Calvin
Microcross, Inc.