Re: rus-ispell license

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 09:21:09PM +0400, Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> The main components of RUS-ISPELL package:
>
>     the Russian affix file (russian.aff.koi) and a set of dictionaries
>     (base.koi, computer.koi, geography.koi, science.koi)
>
> in its original (koi8-r) and any produced from it forms (including
> cp866, iso8859-5, and other encodings) are copyright (c) 1997-2000 by
> Alexander Lebedev.

I'm not sure it matters for us, but the "any produced from it forms . . ."
should be cut. Copyright law dictates what derived works are copyright by
who, and specifying it in the license can't change that. OTOH, his examples
are correct - changing the encoding is not going to affect the copyright
on the document under any copyright law I'm familar with.

BTW, it would be more grammatical to say "any forms produced from it",
and "use, copy and redistribute". Otherwise the translation (original
license?) is impeccable, English-wise.

> Permission to use, copy, redistribute is granted.  Permission to
> redistribute modifications in patch form is granted.  Permission
> to redistribute binaries made of modified sources is granted.
> All other rights reserved.

It violates clause 1 of the DFSG - we need explicit permission to
sell it.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org