Re: Source code with no (explicit) licence

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Some of the resulting questions are unclear to me, even in USA copyright
> law, let alone elsewhere:  Does Bernstein's posting the file to an
> unrestricted public ftp or Web site create implicit general licence to
> retrieve the file?  I would guess so.  To compile it?  I would guess so.
> To modify it?  I would guess not.  To redistribute it with or without
> modification?  I would guess not.

IANAL, so take this all with a grain of salt, but . . .

He has created an implicit license to download the file. You don't
need a license to modify or compile a copy of a copyright work you
have a legal copy of. I don't see how you could create an implicit
license to redistribute, so no there.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org