Re: is FDL DSFG compliant?

Scripsit Jens Müller <jens@unfaehig.de>

> > DFSG is for Software (the "S" in DFSG), so it's not an easy question...
> > I'll let the experts to answer that.

> A headline/title is normally _not_ considered significiant for the
> interpretation of a legal document.

The Debian Free Software Guidelines is not a legal document.
It is just a statement of intent that tells the world which
standards Debian tries to apply when deciding whether it will
distribute a program or not.

Whether or not Debian should apply those same standards to
documentation that is not "software" is a question that
apparently nobody thought about when the DFSG was created.
Is has been thought about by a lot of people since then,
but to the best of my knowledge no projectwide consensus
has emerged.

In any case, the question cannot be answered by being legal
about language that was created with an entirely different
question in mind. The question is a political one for which
a lasting answer can only be found through Debian's political
structure. Until that happens, the elected officials have to
decide for each package according to their own views of what
should be allowed in and what shouldn't.

--
Henning Makholm                               "Hi! I'm an Ellen Jamesian. Do
                                        you know what an Ellen Jamesian is?"