Re: Open Compatibility License (was: Re: 2 questions about leocad)

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:00:56AM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 11:44:06PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> > > Again, any thoughts on the Open Compatibility License (other than the
> > > fact that it has the same abbrev. as the Open Content License)?
> >
> > It's ugly, but I think it's DFSG-free from my read-through. You might want
> > to point out that "provided these projects are covered by a open-source
> > license" is meaningless, as that license could be BSD, which would allow
> > it to be taken propriatery. Better yet, if you can, get him to put it
> > under a real license.
>
> Ok, how about GPL with an added clause that you must "ask permission" from
> the author to distribute modified versions?  This opens the door to possible
> discriminations, but not necessarily, so is it still DFSG?
>
> I am betting that it is so close to the line as to push it over into
> non-free.

So close? In another state. The DFSG requires the right to modify
and redistribute without asking permission as one of its basic rights.

> I think a clause that required one to merely notify the author of modified
> distribution would not violate the DFSG?

I think we decided it did in Vim's case, and a couple others. Vim's license
now reads:

If you distribute a modified version of Vim, you are encouraged to send the
maintainer a copy, including the source code.  Or make it available to the
maintainer through ftp; let him know where it can be found.  If the number of
changes is small (e.g., a modified Makefile) e-mailing the diffs will do.
When the maintainer asks for it (in any way) you must make your changes,
including source code, available to him.

I'm not sure that a modified GPL will be any better than the current license.
This is probably one of the most tedious things about the DFSG/Open Source:
trying to negotiate a license with an author who really doesn't want a
DFSG-free/Open Source license, but wants the advantages that come with it.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org