Re: ITP: tnt -- An AIM client for Emacs

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 08:59:09AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > It's my understanding that hurd for example doesn't have this kind of
> > exception (and I suspect never will, given the project's foundation), so
> > we'll never even see apache for it (the damned BSDish advertising clause
> > strikes again!)
>
> There's no need to guess.  The Hurd will certainly allow non-free
> programs that don't use any Hurd libraries and confine themselves to
> the normal published interfaces.

That does seem somewhat counterproductive to the FSF's goals, but I am
glad to hear that considering that you seem to be making a very classic
logical failing:  !GPL != non-free.  According to the FSF's own web pages,
there are a number of perfectly acceptable pieces of software under
licenses that are without a doubt free, but contain clauses which make
them incompatible with the GPL.  Unfortunately, you can't allow some and
not others unless you did it on a purely case-by-case basis, which would
be a nightmare.

Thanks though, I now feel much better about the future of the Hurd.  It
would just royally suck to lose apache and postfix if I ever moved to the
Hurd given that they're both free and quite usable.

<Crow-> who gives a shit about US law
<jim> anyone living in the US.