Re: IMAPD license problem?

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 07:29:43PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Both of these requirements can be effectively enforced without
> requiring people to get "permission" - just put it in a copyright
> license, in fact a slightly modified BSD license would suit this just
> fine. By requiring people to seek permission to redistribute, you are
> setting up a barrier higher than people in the Debian community want
> to see with software - they would to be able to modify and distribute
> *without* seeking prior approval. That seems reasonable, no?

It's not clear that these "requirements" are copyright requirements.

It's not unusual for us to maintain a polite relationship with developers
-- where we try to avoid stepping on the toes of the development team.
Typically, this sort of thing is between the package maintainer and
the developer(s).

Of course, if the requirements are so pervasive that they can't be
satisfied by personal action on the part of the package maintainer,
we can just drop the package.  But I do not see, at the moment, that
these requirements can't be satisfied by the package maintainer (Jaldhar
H. Vyas).