Re: Chemical modelling software

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 07:55:21PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
> You may want to look at babel to convert them to a format that rasmol
> can read.
>
> I'm not sure if babel would fit the DFSG either, though it may be
> possible to persuade the authors to change to a licence that does. At
> http://smog.com/chem/babel/README.txt it says:
>
> -- BABEL LICENCE
[Names and stuff cut]
> This software is provided on an "as is" basis, and without warranty of
> any  kind, including but not limited to any implied warranty of
> merchantability  or fitness for a particular purpose.
>
> In no event shall the authors or the University of Arizona be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages
> arising from use or distribution of this software. The University of Arizona
> also shall not be liable for any claim against any user of this program by
> any third party.
>

> PLEASE REGISTER
> ---------------
[Please tell us who you are]

It's not DFSG-free. As written it doesn't let you do *anything* not
specifically permitted by copyright. (Well, the only thing that really
restricts is copying, I guess, since they can't stop you from modifying
or using it.) You would need a new license to even put it in non-free.
It almost looks like they cut and pasted from the MIT license and forgot
to include the license. You might want to email them, as U of A seems to
let the professors take care of thier own licenses. (Icon, another program
from U of A, is public domain. It's the largest public domain program I've
ever seen.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.net.dhis.org