Re: Export Restrictions

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:34:13PM -0600, Dompnier, Frank wrote:
> We are interested in purchasing Debian Linux for our subsidiary
> company based in Khartoum, Sudan. Please confirm that the use of
> this technology will not constitute a prohibited export of goods
> or technology under existing United States sanctions laws for
> this country. If I've contacted you in error, please forward this
> correspondence to your sales or legal representative.
>
> I look forward to your reply.

Please read http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist/.  Debian cannot
dispense legal advice.

It's my personal belief that importing debian to sudan would not
constitute a prohibited export of goods.  However, I'm not an expert
on this subject and for all I know there could be a U.S. ban on using
emacs in Sudan.

Debian is provided with no warranty, and we do not warrant that
U.S. officials haven't issued sanctions against our software.

That said: if you become aware of some aspect of Debian which is being
exported from the U.S. in violation of any such treaties, please let
us know.

We have a system of network accessible sites, mirroring the content of
http://non-us.debian.org/dists, which contains software which is for
whatever reason restricted by the U.S.  If the U.S. has placed export
restrictions on the software then content in non-us.debian.org was not
exported from the U.S.

Thanks, and I hope this helps,

--
Raul