Re: Gibraltar

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

> That is exactly what I mean: if somebody sells his knowledge, his time
> by selling support then he does not directly make profit with the ISO
> images that are distributed freely. He/she makes his profit because
> others use the freely distributed ISO images and he/she has the
> knowledge about configuring it. And that is totally ok.

But if someone sells their knowledge about finding software, transferring
it to CDROM, and mailing the result, that's not ok?  I really don't get
it.

How about other distribution methods that could carry a fee?  I once
considered putting together a priority FTP mirror co-op.  Would it be
legal for me to make your ISO image available on a for-pay network or on a
pay-for-download basis?  How about on a dvdrom or Jaz drive rather than
cdrom?  What if it's bundled on those media with other software?  How
about preinstalled on a system?

In any case, it's clearly not free if you can't freely distribute it, so
probably inappropriate for further discussion on debian-legal.  I'd be
glad to continue in private mail, and you should feel free to make a final
rebuttal if needed, but I'll try to make this my last post on this
(off-)topic to the list.