Re: Gibraltar

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, [iso-8859-1] Jens Müller wrote:

> > > In reality, I want a situation in some way similiar to what OpenBSD
> > > does: they give away everything they write, but sell the CD-ROMs.
> >
> > Important distinction - they ALSO allow others to sell/copy/distribute the
> > CDROMs.
>
> Ah, do they? Can I copy and sell their CDs? If the answer is not clear, can
> we talk via PM?

I know Walnut Creek does just this.  I know that it's not prohibited by
other software that is said to have a "BSD-style license".  I haven't
ready the actual FreeBSD license, but I'll be shocked and dismayed if they
have anything prohibiting commercial distribution.

> > You can use similar restrictions as Debian.  That does not inclue a
> > restriction on distribution, whether for profit or not.
>
> What are Debian's restrictions? The use of the word "official"?

Indeed.  Naming restrictions are fine.  Distribution restrictions are not.

> ... and I think it's not fair to make profit of programs others gave
> away for free.

Again I ask - is there something beyond jealosy that causes this feeling
of unfairness?  Because I can't see what it is.  It's not like it costs
you anything compared to having someone download it.  You actually BENEFIT
by having someone sell CDs of your project because you don't have to pay
for the bandwidth of downloads.

Think of it this way: for something available at no charge, anyone who
pays for it is doing so because they get some service beyond the software
itself.  The act of making and mailing a CD _IS_ a service.  The act of
advertising _IS_ a service.  People pay for it. They're clearly not paying
for the image, because they can get it for free.  They're paying for the
delivery method and the help in finding it.  They're not paying for the
bits themselves, they're free.

> Giving support for your project and taking a fee is not
> to be considered "profit-making" IMO.

I simply don't understand.  Isn't taking a fee for something what makes it
"profit-making"?  Regardless of what that "something" is (providing
telephone support, providing a distribution channel, actually coming over
and installing the software, or just telling someone that the software
exists).

Some questions to ask yourself:

Would you restrict someone who had a page of links to free software?  How
about an FTP mirror?  How about a service that lets you burn your own CD
from images available on the net?  How about a company that rents CD
burners?

Does your answer change if any of these services charges money?  Why?