Re: Licence of SteelBlue

Scripsit "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> On 27 Jul 2000, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > Under the GPL, I must give the *rights* to everyone, because those who
> > recive the program from me can pass it on to anyone, and this anyone
> > also get full rights to my modifications. Essentially GPL says:

> > 1) you must give your source to those you give binaries, but
> > 2) you must give your rights to everyone.

> I understood, that you have only give rights to all these, that receive
> source or binaries directly or indirectly by you.

Yes, but that is the same thing, because in practice *anyone* can be
among those who get the souce *indirectly* from you.

> If I modify some program written by you. And give it only give it
> persons, from which I know, they will not distribute it further.
> (Wihtout me forcing them to or making a licence "you are only
> allowed to use, when ...". Would I have to give rights of the
> modified form to you?

Yes, if one of your friends later changes his mind and decides to
give me a copy. As you cannot be *sure* whether or not your (current)
friend will later change his mind, you had better be prepared to
allow me to copy and modify your program.

Henning Makholm                           "Det ville være så let at skabe et
                                   paradis. En fredfyldt, harmonisk verden."