Re: Licence of SteelBlue

Scripsit "Bernhard R. Link" <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> On 26 Jul 2000, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > In a sense, the GPL also says something similar: roughly, "if you
> > distribute modifications, you must give us (and everyone else, by
> > the way) the same rights to your modifications as we give you to
> > the original".

> In my eyes GPL doesn't say "give us", but  "give those, who receive this
> program by you".

Under the GPL, I must give the *rights* to everyone, because those who
recive the program from me can pass it on to anyone, and this anyone
also get full rights to my modifications. Essentially GPL says:

1) you must give your source to those you give binaries, but
2) you must give your rights to everyone.

> > No. It's very common in licenses, free ones too, to say that the
> > license terminates if licensee does not meet his obligations (which
> > typically include not attacking the freedom of the program).

> Is it about termination in other cases or was it about termination if they
> want it to terminate?

It is about termination if the licensee does not abide by the license.

--
Henning Makholm                         "This imposes the restriction on any
                                  procedure statement that the kind and type