SGI Free SW license 1.1 compatability with Xfree86 style license
Due the complicated nature of part of the GLU library in mesa,
the authors are considering switching to using the version
distributed by SGI. The question has arisen as to whether
the SGI Free SW license B is compatable with the DFSG.
As I would like to see all of mesa stay in main, we
would appreciate any insight you can provide. I will
provide a summary of the discussion to mesa-dev.
The SGI Free SW license B version 1.1 can be found at
Pay special attention to section 2.3.
FYI, mesa is distributed under the following license:
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
* copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
* to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
* the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
* and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
* Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
* in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
* OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
* BRIAN PAUL BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
* AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
* CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
James (Jay) Treacy