Non-free license in included source

Greetings:  God bless you.

I am not a developer - yet (my application has been in for a
few weeks), but I'm the erstwhile maintainer for both the orphaned
Debian package, and the upstream source, of xmailtool.

Included in the original source, by Bob Kierski, and Kieth
Fredericks, then of Cray & now-- who knows?-- is source
for compface, by James Ashton, then of Sydney University,
to provide for a display of XFaces: in a child window at
center top of the main window.

Here is the copyright and license of the compface source,
in comments at the beginning of the code.

/*  @(#)cmain.c 1.7 91/10/24
 *
 *  Compface - 48x48x1 image compression.
 *
 *  Copyright (c) James Ashton - Sydney University - June 1990.
 *
 *  Written 11th November 1889.
 *
 *  Permission is given to distribute these sources, as long as the
 *  copyright messages are not removed, and no monies are exchanged.
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It looks like this makes this code non-free, n'est ce pas?
(pardon my French: I hope I got it right, at least...)

 *
 *  No responsibility is taken for any errors on inaccuracies inherent
 *  either to the comments or the code of this program, but if reported
 *  to me, then an attempt will be made to fix them.
 */

I suppose that the cleanest thing to do would be to try to track
down the author, and get a free license, and that the next
best thing would be to re-write for the functionaliy directly
in the xmailtool code.

I have other questions cerncerning licensing of the original
source code package, but I'll save them for later.