Re: CMU Sphinx licence thread from January..
I just started looking at Sphinx, and I'd remembered a bit of discussion
about the license CMU used. I did a mailing list search on "sphinx" just
now back the past 4 quarters of the archive, and the only thing that
turned up was that section 4 of the license passed the Open Source
guidelines but wasn't sure if it passed the Debian guidelines. Anyway, I
was looking over the license and it looks to me that section 5 is a ringer
for the BSD "advertising" clause.
Do section 4 or 5 place Sphinx into non-free? I'm pretty sure 5 does but
I'd like it confirmed.
Here's the COPYING file inlined for reference:
* Copyright (c) 2000 Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
* are met:
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
* the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
* 3. The names "Sphinx" and "Carnegie Mellon" must not be used to
* endorse or promote products derived from this software without
* prior written permission. To obtain permission, contact
* 4. Products derived from this software may not be called "Sphinx"
* nor may "Sphinx" appear in their names without prior written
* permission of Carnegie Mellon University. To obtain permission,
* contact email@example.com.
* 5. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
* "This product includes software developed by Carnegie
* Mellon University (http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/)."
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY ``AS IS'' AND
* ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
* THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
* PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY
* NOR ITS EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
* SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
* LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
* DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
* THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
* OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.