Re: When will KDE and Debian get together?

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 05:12:52PM -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> My personal apologies for the "emotional" above.  I didn't mean in any way
> to annoy you with it, and I should have thought some more before sending it
> off. A less perjorative way to say it would have been "non-license" reasons.

The reasons we don't distribute KDE packages have everything to do with
licensing.

> When I build pine debs from debianized source I certainly have no
> intention of distributing them to anyone else,

Pine is not free and, as far as I know, does not attempt to misrepresent
itself as being so.

> and I believe this would be true for virtually every ordinary Debian user
> who built KDE debs on their machine. Especially if Debian specifically
> raised the issue with them,

If users need permission to distribute binaries they create from source
themselves, it is not free software.

> and let them know distributing KDE binaries they
> created on their machine would not be consistent with the official Debian
> interpretation of the GPL.

Our interpretation on this matter has been the only one offered.  No one
has ever, using the language of the appropriate licenses (GPL and QPL),
described how it is possible to intermix source under both licenses without
violating the terms of the GPL.

Instead, they have waved their hands and/or silently ignored the issue.

> If you are arguing that Debian should refuse to distribute any GPLed source
> which has the *potential* to be used inappropriately by a small minority of
> users,

This has absolutely nothing to do with what Joey said; you are putting
words in his mouth.  The GPL and QPL places restrictions on what users
(licensees) may do with the software; we do not add to that.

> It smacks of prior restraint on your users because you don't trust them
> to follow the Debian guidelines.

You are obviously not a lawyer, and it is irresponsible of you to bandy
about constitutional law terms like "prior restraint" in complete ignorance
of their definitions.  You are a physicist?  How do you feel when people
spout off knowingly about what Heisenberg's Uncertainly Principle "really"
means when they obviously have no grasp of basic mechanics, let alone
quantum theory?  How about the old Schrodinger's cat sawhorse?  The
likelihood of simultaneous collapse of every quantum waveform in a cat is
ridiculously low.  (Since *I* am not a physicist, I won't venture to
speculate on how many orders of magnitude greater than the age of the
universe we would have to wait before being 50% likely to witness such an
event.)

Debian is not a government and we have no power of censorship.  Our charter
is free software, and only free software is official Debian product.  Any
software which mixes components under incompatible licenses is inherently
non-free.  The GPL and QPL are incompatible as-is, and special additions to
the licensing terms have to be made by the licensor(s) to make them free.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     The basic test of freedom is perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux               |     less in what we are free to do than in