Re: When will KDE and Debian get together?

(This is not intended to be published in LWN, and I'd just as soon drop
the Cc.)

Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> But my impression is that not every debianized source tree can be used with
> the debuild command.  For example, can you use debuild with the debianized
> pine source tree that is distributed with Debian?  When I built it a number
> of weeks ago I recall some other means was documented for building the debs
> so I used that instead.  Thus my impression is there are a variety of
> debianized source tree formats.  I view this as a weakness.  Thus, I would
> be happy to be proved wrong by you on this issue.

Well you're wrong. dpkg-buildpackage is required to be able to build
every package. There is extensive documentation and policy about what a
debianized source package much look like.

But of course you wouldn't know, since you're clearly jumping to
conclusions and blabbering without doing even the most rudimentary fact
checking.

> To add some
> credibility to your argument you have thrown in "distribute binaries to
> others".  Of course, if such distribution occurred a whole set of GPL rules
> kicks in, but I think this is a non-issue since few if any Debian users will
> actually do this once they have built KDE on their own system.

That doesn't matter. It's an essential part of Debian's concept of free
software. It's not some requirement we threw in at the last minute.

> You
> indeed may want to supress KDE source distribution via Debian for emotional
> reasons

I take extreme exception to this. FYI, if you would bother to *go back
and look at the history*, I happened to be (at significant personal cost; KDE
was megabuggy 2 or 3 years ago) maintaining KDE *in Debian* when others
discovered the license incompatability. I reluctantly pulled it, becuase this
was indeed a problem.

If you must continue casting unifnormed aspersions on me and others, I
personally have no further desire to communicate with you.

--
see shy jo