Re: GNU License and Computer Break Ins

Thus spake Brian Ristuccia on Sun, May 21, 2000 at 01:12:06AM CDT
> On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 12:36:47PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > Seth David Schoen writes:
> >
> > > accreted on top of the copyright system, so that authors have become
> > > quite insistent about their absolute "ownership" of their work, and
> >
> > I should probably say that agents and publishers have become quite
> > insistent about their absolute ownership of the authors' work.
> >

> I think the recording industry is trying to purchase (or has recently
> purchased) a law that satisfies this insistence. The gist I got was that the
> law would make all work they publish will be considered a work for hire.
> This it would be impossible to publish your own recordings through a record
> company without effectively assigning the copyright to that record company.

There are several levels of 'ownership' here.  What are called 'mechanical'
rights - the rights to the actual recorded sound are different from the
rights to the arrangement, lyrics and music.  I can see where record
companies might assume, or want to assume ownership of the mechanical rights
(especially if they finance the recording sessions), but I expect they'd be
digging their own graves if they insisted on ownership of the copyrights to
works for which they publish recordings.  There are a lot of pretty powerful
publishing companies in the music business which would take serious
exception to such a 'law'.  Then, too, every deal is different in the music
business.  The more money making potential you have as an artist, the better
terms you can get on a contract for a project with a record company.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at