Re: DFSG Par. 9 and GPL "Virulogical" effekt

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 12:14:56AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> Is that before or after KDE was found to be undistributable :)

[I'm responding more to what you seem to be trying to imply, than what you
explicitly asked.  However, my response is couched as an explicit response
to your explicit question -- not an answer, mind you, but a response.]

Before *who* found KDE was undistributable?  Debian, or KDE?

Please recall that there are some significant KDE packages which existed
as GPLed software well before the KDE project was started.

Then, some KDE people modified the code and chose to distribute it with
Qt as an essential component.

Yet, for some reason, these KDE folks do not want to contact the original
authors and get permission for distribution.  [I've been told that
they've made explicit statements that they don't want to do this.]

Now, you *might* claim that the KDE folks were acting in ignorance --
that if they knew better, that they'd do the right thing.  If that were
the case, then it's probably true that they didn't know that what they
wrote would be undistributable.

I'm not going to make such a claim, however.

--
Raul