Re: DFSG Par. 9 and GPL "Virulogical" effekt

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 12:10:48AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> If they're incompatible, that logically means that one (or both) is
> restricting SOMEBODY's freedom

True.  If you read the GPL it will explain exactly which freedoms
it restricts and why it does that.  And if you examine the DFSG, or
the FSF's definition of free software, you'll see that those freedom
restrictions are allowed for a free software package.

It is impossible to have total freedom.  My freedom is restricted if I
cannot restrict your freedom, and vice versa.

> You're right--free != common, but then again, if it were common licenses,
> I'm guessing that the Microsoft EULA should be listed

How commonly is the Microsoft EULA used as a license in the Debian
distribution?

                    I'm moving IRL on May 2, 2000.
               New contact information on the home page