Re: Mirror site (fwd)

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 06:08:13PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 04-Apr-00, 17:27 (CDT), dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org wrote:
> > Unfortunetly, it's not consistent with many of the non-DFSG-free
> > licenses. You'd be violating licenses if you did this with many of the
> > packages in non-free,
>
> 1. Non-free is not Debian. :-)

Which is terribly useful to the guy who got assured that he could distribute
the mirror of Debian, but is now being slapped with law suits because
he failed to be completely pedantic with his question.

> 2. I'm not sure this is true. Don't we have to have the right to
> redistribute for a package to be in non-free? If not, how do we get away
> with mirroring non-free?

We have the right to distribute non-free on the net. A few of them
may not have the right to be distributed on CD. Many may not be
sold. Some (Alladin Ghostscript) may not be sold with some software
in non-free. Some (POV-Ray) have have funky restrictions on how you can
sell it on CD. Non-free is full of funky licensed programs that can be
mirrored by Debian but have weird restrictions, especially where money
changes hands.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with