Re: Copyright problem with new maelstrom licence

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Christoph Baumann wrote:

> <quote>
> The source code to Maelstrom 3.0 and higher has been released under
> the GNU General Public License which can be found in COPYING.GPL.
>
> The artwork and sounds used by Maelstrom are copyright Ambrosia Software
> (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) and may not be redistributed separately from
> the Maelstrom public GPL release.
>
> The following files must accompany any distribution of Maeltrom 3.0:
>         Ambrosia_Software,_Inc._FAQ
>         MaelstromGPL_press_release
> They can be found in the Docs directory.
>
> Copying, modifying, bundling, and burning to new ROMs is encouraged!
> </quote>

The key interpretable phrase is "the Maelstrom public GPL release".  If
this means "only with the unmodified version as found in the official
release" then the art and sounds are probably not free.

Maybe.  Could I distribute modified sources and modified art as long as I
also include or make available the original code and art?  Could I use the
art in another product entirely as long as I distribute the original code
with it (though it's not used)?  From reading the above, I'd say it's
clear that they give me permission to do so, but probably give this
permission by accident.  That kind of permission scares me.

> The question is: is this non-free or not. The graphics are copyright of
> Ambrosia, but there is no statement that restricts anything more than
> stated above. Would it still be free if the artwork can only be
> distributed with the game?

Actually, on more thorough reading, there is nothing that gives ANY
permission to copy the artwork.  It can't be distributed seperately, but
never says that it can be distributed bundled either.  Can we even put it
in non-free?
--
Mark Rafn    dagon@dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>   !G